Energy efficiency and almost zero consumption
The primary objectives of the European Union to be achieved by 2020, as part of sustainable development, are divided into three key points:
• reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20% compared to 1990 levels by 2020.
• increase the proportion of renewable energy in final consumption to 20%
• seek to increase energy efficiency by 20%.
To achieve these objectives the EU intends to promote a series of actions:
• build an economy with low CO2 emissions, be more competitive, able to exploit the resources in an efficient and sustainable manner (CFP: Product Carbon Footprint);
• protect the environment, reduce emissions and prevent the loss of biodiversity;
• develop new technologies and production of green methods ;
• to protect the use of natural resources, designing, producing and using goods recycling of which is ever increasing, by adopting a policy of best practices through (LCA).
Note: What is the Life cycle assessment –LCA life cycle analysis
How much energy is used in the production process? As it consumes a product during its operation? What will be the environmental cost of its disposal? Just one tool to answer all the questions: the LCA, the analysis of the life cycle. The evaluation of the energy and environmental performance of each piece of the building records the entire life of a compound or a system “from the cradle to the grave.” This procedure, regulated at the international level by ISO 14040 series, includes activities such as:
• the use of raw materials, (laminated wood, paint, glue, water, electricity, natural gas), to the manufacture of the goods;
• transportation, distribution, use and eventual reuse of the product (or parts thereof);
• the collection, storage until recovery and final disposal of their waste in wood, plastic, and metals.
Wood is the material that more than satisfies the all “natural” requirements of a lesser environmental impact, less waste of resources to produce and regenerate the raw material and ensure the best performance of thermal insulation.